|September 12th||John Prior - Garden Extravaganza|
|October 10th||Beats of Brazil|
|November 14th||Mae Barr District Chairman|
|December 5th||Christmas Meal|
|January 9th||Dr Jill Muris, Rotary Speaker - Camino de Santiago|
|February 13th||CCI Representative - Small Beginnings|
|March 12th||John Copeland - A Pictorial Visit to Poland - CANCELLED|
|April 9th||Richard Patterson - Tea, Your Majesty - CANCELLED|
|May 14th||Jill Trevena - A Sense of Calm - CANCELLED|
|June 18th||AGM - CANCELLED|
We were to be holding a charity lunch at Lanark Golf Club on 29th March 2020, which has unfortunatel;y had to be cancelled becasue of COVID-19
About the Club
We should be known as the Inner Wheel Club of the Lanark Area as our club encompasses the Towns of Biggar and Carluke since Biggar and Carluke Rotary clubs do not have equivalent Inner Wheel Branches. We are a very friendly club and visiting 'wheelers' and new recruits will be warmly welcomed.
John Dirkie and his wife of “Beats of Brazil” came along to talk and demonstrate samba music and soon had us joining in. Great fun!
About the area
The town of Lanark is situated above and beside the River Clyde, twenty-five miles to the south east of Glasgow and around thirty-two miles to the south west of Edinburgh. Its situation on rising ground above the Clyde is in a relatively central location where several early communication routes come together, such as a Roman road and a highway to Ayrshire. It is this position near these early routes and beside the River Clyde, which is at the heart of why the town was born and at least initially developed. Its convenient position allowed the town to attract the attention of the surrounding rural communities serving as a more or less central hub, which supplied necessary services, as well as being the first link in trade with the immediate area.
According to local tradition the town was granted Burgh status by David 1 in 1140. Ancient Lanark was a town of some repute. It had its own Royal Castle where the first Scottish Parliament met and where the Scottish Kings stayed on their visits to the district. William Wallace is reputed to have married Marian Braidfute at St Kentigerns Church in Lanark and following Marion's murder in 1297 by the English Sheriff of Lanark, Heselrigg, Wallace in turn killed him and thus started the Scottish Wars of Independence. Lanark also had a Franciscan Monastery on lands granted by Robert the Bruce. Nothing remains of the castle or the monastery but the old street names take us back to the time when the Castle Gait was the road of royalty and Friars Lane was a secluded walk for Monks.
Lanark is a town steeped in tradition. This is typified by the "Lanimers", a week long festival held in early June, which incorporates an inspection of the Burgh boundaries by mounted Lord Cornets as well as a procession of beautiful floats culminating in the crowning of the Lanimer Queen at a stand in front of St. Nicholas Church and below the statue of William Wallace.
St. Nicholas has the oldest "Bell" in Europe. Cast in 1110, it was used as a curfew. The other churches are Greyfriars, Christ Church and St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, all serving the congregations of the town. The Royal Burgh Museum, situated near the centre of this busy market town, has annual exhibitions telling the story of the people at work and leisure.
Castlebank Park is an attractive wooded area with access to the Clyde Walkway, playground equipment for children and views of the River Clyde, also the Clyde Valley. At the other end of the town is Lanark Loch where many visitors enjoy boating and walking, while children play or watch the many swans. The Golf Club was formed in 1851 and claims to be one of the oldest Clubs in Britain, having two courses, a testing 18-hole course and an easier 9-hole course.
New Lanark World Heritage Village is just over a mile from Lanark being built by David Dale as a series of spinning mills close to the Fall of Clyde. It rose to fame as a model village under the management of Robert Owen on far sighted principles relating to work, leisure and community life. The quality of the restoration has been recognised as outstanding. The Village, home to 200 people, welcomes visitors from all over the world and it also gives access to the Falls of Clyde Wildlife Reserve. The largest and most ambitious project undertaken by the Trust is the New Lanark Mill Hotel converted from the original Mill One.